Army sergeant wants to plead guilty in Georgia base shootings that injured 5

Breaking Legal News

An Army sergeant accused of shooting and wounding five co-workers at a southeast Georgia base last summer is seeking to plead guilty to attempted murder and other charges in a military court, Army prosecutors said Thursday.

Authorities say Sgt. Quornelius Radford, 28, used a personal handgun to open fire on members of his supply unit at Fort Stewart in August. Gunfire injured four soldiers and a civilian worker, who was Radford's romantic partner, before bystanders disarmed and restrained the sergeant, according to prosecutors.

A military judge scheduled Radford to stand trial by court-martial in June after Radford pleaded not guilty last fall to 13 criminal counts: six counts of attempted murder, six counts of aggravated assault and a count of domestic violence. Prosecutors say there were six total victims, including a person Radford shot at and missed.

Now Radford is seeking to plead guilty to a reduced set of charges, according to the Army's Office of Special Trial Counsel, which is prosecuting Radford.

It said in a news release Thursday that Radford's attorneys told a military judge last week that Radford wants to plead guilty to two counts of attempted murder, three counts of aggravated assault and one count of domestic violence.

Radford's lead defense attorney, Lt. Col. Dylan Mack, did not immediately respond to an email message seeking comment.

The Army's online court docket shows Radford's plea status was changed from "not guilty" to "guilty plea" ahead of his next scheduled court hearing March 31. That's when the judge plans to consider Radford's plea change, prosecutors said.

Army prosecutors said they haven't negotiated a plea deal with Radford, meaning he would still face a possible life prison sentence if a military judge accepts his guilty plea.

Authorities haven't offered a suspected motive for the shootings. Radford has been held in pretrial confinement since his arrest.

The largest Army post east of the Mississippi River, Fort Stewart is home to thousands of soldiers assigned to the 3rd Infantry Division. It is located about 40 miles (64 kilometers) southwest of Savannah.

Radford served as a supply sergeant in the division's 2nd Armored Brigade. Army records show he enlisted in 2018.

On Aug. 6, soldiers in Radford's unit followed the sound of gunfire into the hallways of an office building where they found hazy gun smoke in the air and wounded victims on the floor and in nearby offices.

Brig. Gen. John Lubas, the 3rd Infantry's commander, credited soldiers with saving lives by immediately rendering first aid, in some cases using their bare hands to stanch bleeding from gunshot wounds.

Army Secretary Dan Driscoll visited Fort Stewart the day after the shootings to award Meritorious Service Medals to six soldiers who helped restrain the gunman and treat the victims.

Related listings

  • College president pleads guilty before Arkansas fraud trial

    College president pleads guilty before Arkansas fraud trial

    Breaking Legal News 03/09/2026

    The president of a Christian college in Springdale pleaded guilty to a fraud charge Wednesday, admitting he took part in what prosecutors called a kickback scheme involving his school.Oren Paris III had faced a trial Monday with former state Sen. Jon...

  • A South Korean court sentences former President Yoon to 5 years in prison

    A South Korean court sentences former President Yoon to 5 years in prison

    Breaking Legal News 01/17/2026

    A South Korean court sentenced former President Yoon Suk Yeol to five years in prison Friday in the first verdict from eight criminal trials over the martial law debacle that forced him out of office and other allegations.Yoon was impeached, arrested...

  • Netflix to acquire Warner Bros. studio and streaming business for $72 billion

    Netflix to acquire Warner Bros. studio and streaming business for $72 billion

    Breaking Legal News 12/05/2025

    Netflix has struck a deal with Warner Bros. Discovery, the legacy Hollywood giant behind “Harry Potter” and “Friends,” to buy its studio and streaming business for $72 billion.The acquisition, announced Friday, would bring two...

Grounds for Divorce in Ohio - Sylkatis Law, LLC

A divorce in Ohio is filed when there is typically “fault” by one of the parties and party not at “fault” seeks to end the marriage. A court in Ohio may grant a divorce for the following reasons:
• Willful absence of the adverse party for one year
• Adultery
• Extreme cruelty
• Fraudulent contract
• Any gross neglect of duty
• Habitual drunkenness
• Imprisonment in a correctional institution at the time of filing the complaint
• Procurement of a divorce outside this state by the other party

Additionally, there are two “no-fault” basis for which a court may grant a divorce:
• When the parties have, without interruption for one year, lived separate and apart without cohabitation
• Incompatibility, unless denied by either party

However, whether or not the the court grants the divorce for “fault” or not, in Ohio the party not at “fault” will not get a bigger slice of the marital property.